Tuesday, August 31, 2010

College Degree Vs. No Degree

I have noticed over the past couple weeks that many people have debated about whether or not college degrees serve a purpose or not. I myself have a Bachelor's and I am working on my Master's. Am I presently working? Nope. Am i struggling to find a job? Yes. Do I ever regret getting my degree?? Hell no.

Now with that being said, there are many people with and without degrees who do have jobs. The problem I have is with the people without degrees who keep throwing all this shade towards those who do. If you chose not get a degree and decided another option was better for you then so be it. Their reasoning has always been this "some of the most successful people do not have degrees". I then ask them, who are you referring to? Music artists? Bill Gates? Athletes?? I have really yet to get a solid response. They forget many people who are rich who are not famous who do have degrees and are quiet successful in their fields.

Yes there are many ways to be successful in life without actually having a college degree. Will you be a lawyer, doctor, scientist, researcher, pharmacist, etc etc without one? Hell no. If you like more blue collar jobs or maybe opted the music route then that's great too!! But do NOT tell me that in life a degree does not benefit you. I knew what I wanted to do in life and I knew that it required having either a chemistry/chemical engineering degree therefore that is what I acquired. 

Here is the other issue I have. You can disagree if you want, but I find that the arguments that people do not need degrees come from many guys with a "hood" mentality. Many of them are the same ones who feel people who do have degrees act like they are better than them. In all actuality there are people who do feel that way, but I have a feeling they were like that before they had that degree. I have encountered this argument on twitter quite a few times in the past couple months and it baffles me of some people way of thinking but there is nothing I can do about that.

There are countless ways to acquire secondary knowledge like training programs, the military, certifications, or plain experience. Everybody has options, you like it I love it. But do not knock people who chose to go to college and further our education that way, do not let some of the snobby apples ruin the whole bunch. 

*Cedes*

No comments:

Post a Comment