Thursday, September 23, 2010

Seeking Help

Now I know many people have a very generic "stereotypical" views of what they think seeing a psychologist is about. Most would rather "deal with their problems on their own" or "live with it" than actually seek necessary help to either fix the problem or get it to a point where they are functional. I myself would love to seek help for things that I see that maybe issues I have and if I had the money would be in the office spilling my guts at the earliest convenience.

At what point in your life after seeing what you have went through, your family and if you have any, your kids do you decide, maybe what I am doing is not enough and I need a third party to intervene. Have you ever witnessed somebody randomly meeting up with somebody they have never met in their life and just tell them EVERYTHING?!?  This usually happens because when you speak to somebody who doesn't know you you feel less judged. If you know you have issues, internalizing it does not help. Not talking about it does not help. I am all for not stressing about things that you can not change, but what if you could? What if you had an issue that you could fix but were too stubborn or close minded to do something about? There are certain things that with age we get better at, but other things, it becomes ingrained in us so bad that we actually start believing that this is okay, that "this is just who I am". I know men who think being crazy jealous and insecure is okay because that is just the way they are. No sir, that is a effect of bad situations and how you choose to deal with future situations in an attempt to not repeat the cycle.

I realize especially in the black community that there are so much mental issues that many of us choose to sweep under the rug because most were never told it is okay to get help or giving other options besides "pray on it" or "sweep it under the rug". Seek help if you have the opportunity, stop trying to be strong by yourself. Being strong is NOT doing everything by yourself, it is the ability to know when to seek help.

*Cedes*

No comments:

Post a Comment